- Homework 8, due Monday, May 2nd: Draft an outline of your final paper.
- Final Project schedule is posted. If you're not on it, please email Ed
- Term paper information is here. It includes some remarks?.
Physics 138, Spring 2011
Course: TuTh 12:30-2:00pm, 385 LeConte
Discussion: W 10:00-11:00am, 395 LeConte
Instructor's Office Hours: TuTh 11:30-12:30pm, 301C LeConte
Assistant's Office Hours: M 3:30-4:30pm, 340 LeConte or B123 Birge, or by email appointment.
Instructor: Prof. Holger Mueller, 301C LeConte
Course assistant: Edward Marti, 340 LeConte and B123 Birge
An atomic physics course covering photons, atoms, their interactions and their applications in modern research.
will be based on
- 30% homework,
- 30% a 25-min seminar talk (complete with abstract) in the style of a presentation at one of the American Physical Society’s meetings, see, e.g., DAMOP 2010. The topic should be discussed with the instructor or the Course Assistant, and the talk will be practiced during the office hours.
- 40% a paper in the style of Physical Review A or Letters, see APS's information for authors. The topic can be the same as the topic of the talk and should be discussed with the instructor or the Course Assistant. The paper can be handed in at any time during the semester, but must be handed in during the finals week, the latest.
A solid understanding of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism at the level of Phys 137A/B and Phys 110 is required.